Sunday 1 February 2009

John Cage - visuals and concepts

Brief synopsis of
John Cage.

I've decided to explore John cage because My tutor mentioned him in a tutorial and it threw me back to my foundation year when i used his 4.33 as the basis for one of my pieces. 4.33 is basically 4 minutes and 33 seconds of silence where audience is ment to not here the music but the sounds around the music. An example can be seen here.



So the concept behind this title sequence will be a series of images related to John cages life (filmed) to the track 4.33.

Another source of visual material is Prepared piano, where objects were placed on a piano to change the sound, this could be quite entertaining to film, i just need to find a piano and objects to put on it, preferably with connections to John Cage.

But all in all, like Eno, Cage explored the concept of chance in music, a good example of that is Imaginary Landscape No. 4 where radios were used to create music using volume and frenquency but couldn't control what came out of the broadcast. Also I'll note that Cage was interested in In Ching (Chinese “Book of Changes”), which tenuiously links him to the Chineese Composer Tan Dun.

I'd also like to get the quote "I have nothing to say and I'm saying it..." into the piece.

Aesthetically I want the piece to be mirrored by Robert Rauschenbergs white paintings which were in turn influenced by 4.33.



I'm not talking about having 20seconds of white space and silence, (although i may try it), but instead upthe contrasts and brightness and film everything in black and white with a slight gausian blur to soften the edges, this will create a very white sequence, infact i could use this scheme across the 3 sequences to tie them together, whith only flashes of bright colour to break up the monochrome.

This will be my filmed piece.


tj -x-

No comments:

Post a Comment